For the past few months, I’ve been working on a museum display featuring my leaf research. The display was commissioned through the University of Arizona’s Science and Society program. After two weeks of focused work in a wood / machine shop, I’ve finally finished the display. As of Friday evening, it’s up at the Flandrau Science Center. The display features interactive question and a set of preserved leaves that you can handle and magnify. After a few preliminary observations on Saturday, I think it’s likely to be a success!
The leaves you see in this picture are mounted in clear resin on plexiglass cutouts. I didn’t realize how difficult it would be to successfully produce large, bubble-free, flat, scratch-free objects with no defects in the leaves. With my undergraduate students we went through four or five iterations of the process before converging on a final method. Email me if you want to make some of your own!